[Sources: Wikipedia, Oceanside Chamber of Commerce, City of Oceanside, & Visit Oceanside]
Oceanside is a coastal community located on California's South Coast. It is the third-largest city in San Diego County, California. Together with Carlsbad and Vista, it forms a tri-city area. Oceanside, with an approximate population of 175,691 as of 2016, is well known for the Oceanside Harbor, the beaches, marina, shops and the long Oceanside Pier that juts into the Pacific Ocean. The mild climate enables year-round enjoyment of the area’s many outdoor amenities and activities. With a relatively strong economy and well endowed with the arts and recreational activities, Oceanside draws crowds from all over the United States and abroad and entices all age groups including retirees. Family-favorite attractions include LEGOLAND California Resort, SeaWorld San Diego, Disneyland California Resort, and the world-famous San Diego Zoo.
Oceanside experiences a semi-arid climate (Köppen climate classification BSh) that is significantly tempered by maritime winds and the cool currents off the shoreline. The average high temperatures range from 64 °F (18 °C) to 77 °F (23 °C), while the average low temperatures range from 45 °F (7 °C) to 64 °F (18 °C).
- Oceanside is home to the Worlds Largest Women's Surf Competition, the Supergirl Pro Jam event is held yearly since 2007.
- Each Thursday evening, downtown Oceanside hosts the Sunset Market - a gathering of local vendors, hot food and live entertainment.
- The Oceanside Pier, first built in 1888 (and now in its sixth incarnation), is one of the longest wooden piers on the western United States coastline at 1,942 feet.
- The historic district of Mount Ecclesia, home to the Rosicrucian Fellowship, is noted for its singular architecture and the preservation of nature grounds and gardens, offering a unique meditative walking experience.
- The California Surf Museum is located in downtown Oceanside.
- The Oceanside Transit Center provides train services on Amtrak, Metrolink, Coaster, and Sprinter.
- Since 2006, Oceanside has played host to the official start of the annual 3000 mile bicycle race, Race Across America, which is usually held during the second week of June. It is considered the world's toughest sporting event by many experts.
- Oceanside hosts The Beach Soccer Championships The Beach Soccer Championships since 2007, the festival is the largest on the west coast and takes place the weekend after Mother's Day in May. The event has a PRO side to the event called The Beach Soccer USA Cup and it is considered to host the toughest competition of its kind in the USA.
- The Graves House on Pacific Street is the beach hut Kelly McGillis owned in “Top Gun” which starred Tom Cruise. While the house is not open to visitors, it is a local and tourist attraction on the way to Pier.