CLP Community Watch
CLP Community Watch Works!
Community Watch is a Crime Prevention Program that enlists the active participation of citizens in cooperation with law enforcement to reduce crime and victimization in their communities. It involves:
- Citizens using common sense crime prevention practices to protect themselves and their property;
- Neighbors getting together in programs of mutual assistance to prevent crime and rules violations;
- Citizens being trained to recognize and report suspicious activity in their neighborhood.
A Community Watch is not:
- A vigilante group;
- Citizens pursuing criminals or becoming physically involved in the criminal event;
- Taking the law into your hands.
Why Did We Start a Community Watch?
It was obvious that CLP owners want to keep our community private. They want to keep those who are not invited out of the community, period! We do not have gates or guards. We have invested in signs and posters advertising the area to be “private.” Law enforcement officers cannot be everywhere, so citizen involvement is essential. You and your neighbors are the ones who really know what is going on in your community. By cooperating with each other and the police, you can help reduce crime in your community in the most effective way -- by preventing it. We would rather use dues money for other than security guards/patrols. We can prevent most crime in our little community by just policing it ourselves. Let’s work together to protect our community!
Why Do Residents Mobilize?
- To get something done about an immediate problem;
- To problem-solve on future goals;
- To gather resources for community needs;
- To improve the quality of life in their community.
What Does a Community Watch Look Like?
CLP Community Watch areas are defined on the basis of a common interest the members share—to keep all invited outsiders from being on our property. The basic structure of a Community Watch involves a Board Members, a Captain, Block Captains, of course all community members. We must all work together to try to keep all owners and families safe.